Thursday, January 31, 2008

Another year has gone by...

Some of my friends know that I had a rough time turning 30. I thought I was going to wake up, get my coffee, kiss Chris and then just fall over dead. All because I was turning 30!

After going into therapy days before my 30th birthday I learned a lot about myself and about getting older. First, getting older did not kill me. Second, I may be the oldest out of my sisters but I am not the one that everyone thinks is the oldest! Third, getting older is what you make of it. Most importantly, your life is about inviting people in who make your world better and brighter. I did that the year I turned 30 by starting Girls Day. I miss it and I miss my girls!

So it was no wonder that last year was a rough year for me and for my birthday. I had moved from LA to Pittsburgh a few months before and was still in the process of making new friends and getting reaquainted with my family. Oh, and, it was fucking cold and shitty outside. The year before was the week long birthday celebration so those that love me can be held responsible for the bar being set high! What I have realized is that it was not that they did anything huge but just loved me and acknowledged me and made me feel so special! Last year I just felt alone. No one at work mentioned my day and no one seemed to notice me. That is hard to deal with when you are in a new place and just making new friends. But somehow I managed to get through it and came out on the other end better for it.

A year later, I have friends near and far, the weather was better and my birthday was lovely. It was nothing major in any way it was just that people care that I am around and want me to know that they care. It makes this life a little easier to navigate. So another year has gone by in my life and I am learning more about myself and learning more about what I want in life.

I do know that I have some of the best family in the world! Just look at this...

0 comments: