Monday, November 22, 2010

Moving On...

I just about killed another shredder yesterday. Yes, another one! I bought one a few years back to get rid of the mountains of stuff I had held onto for way too long.


Except I killed that one rather quickly. My sister gave me hers since it made too much noise and made her son cry. Yay! More shredding! Except it has sat for a while gathering dust. And the box of stuff sitting next to the door sat there taunting me.

I did not know how much it was taunting me until yesterday when I picked it up, grabbed the shredder and plopped down determined to get through the box. The first pieces were not old, and not taunt worthy material. I thought to myself this is gonna be easy-peasy!

Woah! Holy hell! Wowza!

I got knocked down by the load of stuff in this box! Most of it was my former husband's crap.

Seriously!?! WTH?!?

Then I laughed out loud with the realization that I paid to have it MOVED.

ACROSS the COUNTRY!!!

Hi, my name is Nicole, and I have a problem letting go and moving on!

Quite fitting realization and admission as it is the anniversary of my big move 4 years ago, and even further back, the anniversary of my marriage that did not work.

I woke up this morning thinking that I really suck at moving on and letting go. But really I am pretty good at moving on! It is that pesky letting go piece! And for crying out loud, why do I need to hold onto tax papers from before we had even met! All of this pissed off crap came flying back to me. All over again, I was angry that someone had not paid their taxes for years. And I was cleaning up the mess! Blah, blah, blah.

You know what I am ONLY responsible for my mess!

I love my mess!

I love my life!

So as of today I am letting go...actually as of yesterday for the box of his shit....and looking forward with hope, wonder and possibility!

What are you no longer willing to hold onto? What can you let go of today?

Leave a comment here or tweet about it or post it on facebook.



P.S. More exciting news to come this week!

8 comments:

Dana B. Reeves said...

Powerful stuff, Nicole! I can completely relate to holding onto stuff that ends up bogging me down. Letting go is a freeing process - I'm so proud of you for having the courage to do it!

Love you,
Dana

Nicole said...

Thank you my supportive and loving friend!

Unknown said...

I am definitely one to hold onto stuff long after it's expiration date. I am so proud of you for all that shredding----it feels good, doesn't it?!!? HOORAY! LOVE YOUR MESS!

Today I am watching crap on tv and not worrying too much about my mess. LOL

Lori said...

That's the spirit! So proud of you, Nicole.

Letting go is so hard. I have a terrible time letting go ... not just of stuff but relationships. Learning to love my mess, though, and being more hopeful. :)

Love you! xoxo, Lori

Amy Oscar said...

Wow. I can soooo relate to this post. Yesterday, I deleted ten old versions of a manuscript for a book that Im working on. Today, I printed up the 11th revision and finished the book!

Letting go of the past is powerful medicine. Bravo, you!

Nicole said...

Thank you for the love and support! So happy to read that this is resonating with each of you!

Lots of love back atcha Erin, Lori and Amy! So glad to know you IRL and online! :)

Susan Donegan said...

Nicole, great work and thank you for the courage to put this in writing. You have given me the courage to share what I have been working on letting go.

My sister died almost three years ago from cancer and I have been mad at her ever since. I know, that sounds horrible, doesn't it? I have been mad at her for leaving a big messy life behind (long story). Only recently, did I realize that it's not my responsibility to clean it up - as I work to accept this fact and understand that the realities of her life were her doing and are what they are - I can begin to let the anger go.

I need to let the anger go because the only person it's effecting is me! :)

Nicole said...

Susan, letting go of the anger is the hard part! It is easy to hold onto it for sure! You seem to be working through it gracefully and with some awesome support! Always know that your CIP family is here for you!

Thank you for sharing this with me! Big Hugs!!! XOXO